The LVAD decision-making process is complex – and life-changing – for patients and caregivers. Clinicians and staff often have limited time for these difficult questions and may lack quality, unbiased materials to share. The evidence-based I Decide: LVAD decision aid is a free, easy-to-use tool that provides realistic, comprehensive information about LVAD and the alternatives.
This course is designed to support clinicians, including physicians, advanced practice providers, nurses, and social workers, in leading shared decision making conversations with patients and caregivers considering Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVADs). In this course, you will gain concrete tools to improve patient-provider conversations, leading to better patient outcomes.
At the end of this presentation, the learner should be able to:
• Recognize challenges in LVAD decision making
• Identify gaps in shared decision making for LVADs
• Assess classes of treatment decisions and shared decision making
• Understand components of evidence-based shared decision making
• Understand how to implement patient decision aids into practice
Physicians, Cardiac Surgeons, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Social Workers